Tracey's Reviews > The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

Dec 19, 07

bookshelves: libraryread
Read in January, 2004

I checked this out based on delphica's recent recommendation & its appearance on Locus' Greatest Young Adult Fantasy/Science Fiction list.

Written in 1962, the story hearkens back to the turn of the nineteenth century, being the adventures of two girls: wealthy tomboy Bonnie, and her poor, sickly orphan cousin, Sylvia who comes to Willoughby Chase to stay with Bonnie and her family. However, Sir Willoughby and his wife are about to travel abroad in the hopes of improving his wife's health. They make the mistake of hiring Miss Slighcarp as the new governess - who takes over in the most dramatic of ways.

delphica described it as "a melodramatic Gothic type spoof of books like The Little Princess" -- while it's not quite as over-the-top as the Lemony Snicket books, the girls see their share of dire straits before the prerequisite happy ending.

Recommended to the lower end of the YA spectrum, and definitely a girly book, but still quite fun in its limited way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica Thanks for the review. I have been trying to figure out if I really love this book, or if I imprinted on it (like a duckling) when I was about 9 yrs old. The quest continues.