Reena Jacobs's Reviews > The Darkest Passion

The Darkest Passion by Gena Showalter

Jul 12, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed, 2010-reads
Read from June 13 to 22, 2010

My review for the Darkest Passion can be found on my blog at: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2010/06/n...

This review starts out snarky, but I swear it tempers down and ends on a good note. Maybe.

Olivia quickly annoyed me. She was prone to childish tantrums and sobbed so much I wanted to slap some backbone into her. One thing I can’t stand is groveling females. I couldn’t understand what the Deity saw in her that she’d grow gold in her wings. The girl needed to grow some balls is what she needed. She had me screaming at the book.”Act like a warrior angel, damn it!” Then there was the manipulating bitch thing. Yeah, her thoughts were sweet and innocent, but if I’d encountered her in real life, I wouldn’t trust her as far as I could throw her. Okay, let’s just say the girl rubbed me all wrong. Like Lysander, she acted naïve, but it came across to me as just plain dumb. So those were my first impressions of Olivia. I will say she grew some backbone in the end. Thank the Deity!

Aeron really stood out as nothing significant to me. As far as demon versus man, the style was very similar to the prior books. He spent time convincing himself that he couldn’t be with Olivia because his demon was bad. Of course his demon was crazy for Olivia and calmed by her, just like the other LOTU and their ladies. Really, it was nothing new under the sun. I had to remind myself that Aeron didn’t read the other LOTU novels, so he wouldn’t know the other Lords had gone through the exact same internal combats with their demons. Still, would be nice to see something new.

And the wild card—Legion. I absolutely loved the little demon—well not absolutely. But I liked her a lot. Even when she was getting on my nerves, she had an entertaining quality about her. I definitely hope to see more of her in the future. In fact, I have some speculations about her and her own Happily Ever After (HEA). She’s definitely my presshusss.

One thing I didn’t understand was the concept of love in Heaven. Everyone loved everyone in Heaven, so Olivia said. Yet, most seemed lacking in compassion and cold—heartless beings. Sure they forgave on a dime, but without emotion. It’s easy to forgive when you don’t care. That’s not love.

What’s the best way to lose Reena as a reader? Simple. Give me a side plot not told from the POV of a main character.

The book totally grabbed my attention at the end of chapter 6. I was stoked! In my excitement I looked to the next page and what did I find? The dreaded secondary character POV. Mentally I groaned. I flipped ahead to find out how long I had to wait to hit chapter 8 and hopefully get back into the action–nearly 20 pages! I tell you the truth. I put the book down and went to bed. I woke up, read chapter 7 (which was actually quite interesting, btw), and was back in the story. The book really only continued to get better.

Now this is the twisted me coming out. Many people read romances because they’re guaranteed a HEA. And really, that’s what I hate about romances sometimes—the impossible HEA against all odds. Olivia and Aeron got their HEA, but I didn’t like it. Keep in mind, I often cheer for the not so HEA. I so hoped for an imperfect solution. You romance lovers get what you want though, and I suppose that’s what matters. GRRRR!

So, I had complaints. Yeah, but character interactions and twists kept my nose in the book (particularly after chapter 6). The story was action packed and full of revelations. If you’re following the LOTU, this is definitely not a book you want to skip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Passion.

06/13/2010 page 1
0.0% "I drudged to my shelf wondering what's next to read. Then I saw it! YES!!!!"
06/18/2010 page 36
8.0% "I need to edit a chapter of my work. It's so hard to put this down."
06/21/2010 page 257
59.0% "Sorry I'm late with this review. I'm reading as fast I can. One thing for sure. This is getting REALLY good." 1 comment