May's Reviews > Loose Ends

Loose Ends by Tara Janzen

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: action, series
Recommended for: SERIES FANS ONLY

How does a long awaited end to a series possibly meet expectations of the fans?!
This series is romance (there is a male + female lead who fall in LURVE) but it's also comedy, white knuckle action, adventure, and it is not at all realistic. While I have no doubt this series doesn't work for some people, I've loved every page.

Ok, so JT (one of the guys on the team) died 6 years ago. It was brutal, we never knew him (in series) except through reflections and memories from other characters. In fact, the whole series has really been "since JT died..." Then, in a twist I sure never expected towards the end of this series we find out that maybe he isn't dead. He's been tortured. juiced up on crazy drugs. altered. He doesn't know who he was before.

In this book, we start off where #10 ended. It's all going down in downtown Denver, home of the Steele Street boys.

I LOVED that it was a brief period of time (a single day at most), it was action packed, all kinds of "loose ends" come around and it all really comes together (falls apart?) and it was a lot of fun to read. I also appreciated that the author didn't give us those "reunion" scenes where everyone from previous books hang out just to hang out and be seen. Oh, most every Steele Street operator shows up - but the scenes have purpose and a point.

The scary guy, the bad guy, the car chase... it was all there. Jane was a homeless/living on streets teen turned good. We've seen her in previous books and in this I LOVED her. So much.
I thought this was a very strong book to wrap up the series. The whole "crazy drugs that make super warriors but then they go nuts or die" thing is still a bit out there for me - but somehow Tara Janzen makes it work. She also managed to keep me totally entertained through the book, and didn't fall into a few of the common end of series traps I was afraid she would.

On the downside - there's not really any relationship building here. Oh they like each other and lust after each other... but that's it. Since it's a 1 day time frame I guess I get that, and JT knows Jane from 'before' and always liked her. Likewise there really just isn't deep thought or reflection by any characters. It's kept more in the moment/conversation/superficial. The more I think about it - this is common with her books. So if you're a fan, I think you'll be happy with this.

note: you really can't pick this up without having read the rest of the series. the author takes just enough time to refresh the memory - but only if you already know the details.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loose Ends.

01/25/2011 "Today = book heaven. This should be in my mailbox... as well as many other long awaited treasures that release today. YAHOO!!!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by May (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Oh Zosia I think you'd enjoy this one too. (here's hoping you can get a copy!)
I *know* she's totally over the top with this spy master/ultimate warrior drugs/etc... but it's like a really great action movie. Yeah, it's beyond realistic but it's FUN, it's entertaining, and you love it anyway. ;)