Linda Lipko's Reviews > Ruined

Ruined by Paula Morris

Jun 13, 2010

liked it
Read in June, 2010

It was found in the young adult section of the library and unlike many YA books, this one did not deal with insightful struggles or coming of age woes. Instead, it was fluffy and breezy and the story line more fantasy like that serious in nature.

The setting is New Orleans, LA where 16 year old Rebecca Brown, a native New York City dweller is sent to live with a family friend who reads tarot cards and has psychic abilities.

Typically in YA stories, teenagers are transported to another school, town and environment and struggle with adjustment. This tale has an added twist because we learn of spooky, haunted New Orleans through Rebecca's eyes.

Fitting in at an exclusive girls school where the elite, rich, society snobs attend is difficult for Rebecca. She manages to find a friend outside of the school -- a ghost named Lisette who is doomed to inhabit the Lafayette cemetery.

While I cannot highly recommend this book, it was interesting and I learned a lot about the superstitions, folk lore, culture and traditions surrounding New Orleans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruined.