Michelle's Reviews > A Ticket to the Circus: A Memoir

A Ticket to the Circus by Norris Church Mailer

Jun 16, 10

bookshelves: 2010

Fascinating memoir from Norman Mailer's sixth (and longest-running) wife. This is a woman destined to sleep with greatness, I think, given as a small town Arkansas teacher she had sex with both Norman Mailer and Bill Clinton. I love how, many decades later, after the Lewinsky scandal broke some guy says to Norris, guess you're the only person in Arkansas he never slept with and she has to admit, "I’m afraid he got us all." In any case, I enjoyed her writing style and the ups and downs involved with being a part of Norman Mailer's life. She doesn't really make any apologies for his atrocious behavior and she is certainly no angel. I like memoirs that are scintillating yet don't make excuses and this is certainly one of them. Also, one of the best parts is how well-functioning the highly dysfunctional extended Mailer family (many kids, lots of wives) becomes. Norris Mailer really seemed the center of a family that included many ex-wives, included one she replaced. Oh and I'd be remiss not to mention Norman had a penchant for head-butting people who irritated him. He also stabbed a previous wife with a pen. This memoir is chocked full of such tidbits, mentioned off-handedly. If your husband head-butted Gore Vidal in public and it gets like only one sentence of your book you know you lead an interesting life.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Ticket to the Circus.

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I like reading your reviews Michelle. You make me want to read the books,the good ones anyway.

Michelle Aw, thanks! That's so nice of you.

Diane D. I've had this for awhile and I think it's time to give it a go. I love the post "I'm afraid he got us all"