Diana~'s Reviews > The Iron King

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Oh, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I absolutely fell in love with the story, the characters, and even the author herself. She's ranked as one of my favorite authors next to J.K. Rowling and that's something alright. They're both geniuses in their work and I'm really glad that I decided to give this series a try. I haven't been able to read a book ever since the Harry Potter series that has been able to pull me into the world of the characters and feel compassion for them.

This book has everything from adventure, romance, and even comedy. Even though the beginning was a bit slow, the story rapidly picks up when Meaghan's brother gets kidnapped and she is thrown into the world of the NeverNever. And let's not forget about Grimalkin! I absolutely love the fairy tale vibe that this books gives out because of the combined elements of Alice and Wonderland and A Midsummer Night's Dream featured in this book. And of course, we can't forget about the lovely love triangle between Meaghan, Ash, and Puck.

Let me just point out that in the beginning, I did not exactly have a good impression on Ash because of the role that he plays as the Winter Prince. But as a result, he slowly grew on me and I absolutely love him after this book and even more after the The Iron Daughter's ending. I did however liked Puck in the beginning, but I soon felt sorry for him because I knew for a fact that Meaghan will never love him as much as she loves Ash. Another reason why I love the romance in this series so much, is the Romeo and Juliet feeling that Ash and Meaghan's situation falls in. They're both from different kingdoms; she is a Summer fey while he is a Winter fey. They can never be together, even if they love each other, because of the clashes between the two kingdoms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

Quotes Diana~ Liked

Julie Kagawa
“I licked my lips and whispered, "Is this where you say you'll kill me?"
One corner of his lips curled. "If you like," he murmured, a flicker of amusement finally crossing his face. "Though it's gotten far too interesting for that.”

Julie Kagawa
“Then I made a stupid mistake and looked up at him. His eyes met mine, and for a moment, his face was open and vulnerable in the moonlight. I caught a hint of wonder there as we stared at each other. Slowly, he leaned forward. I caught my breath, a tiny gasp escaping. He stiffened, and his expression shuttered closed, eyes going hard and frosty.
[...]
'This is getting old,' he said in a voice that matched his eyes.”

Julie Kagawa
“Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash blinked. "Are you raiding the cellars now, Goodfellow?"

"Me? Stealing?" Puck flashed a devious grin and popped another fruit into his mouth. "In the house of my ancient enemy? What gave you that idea?" He plucked another fruit and tossed it to me with a wink.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva This sounds great! Loved the review, Diana!

Diana~ I'm really glad! I actually think that even though this book is labeled for YA, it's great for anybody. I think you'll love it if you ever give this series a try!