Smash's Reviews > Crescendo

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Jun 13, 2010

bookshelves: book-reviews, read-2010, gifted, favorites, ya-fantasy
Read from November 12 to 14, 2010 — I own a copy

Check out this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/...

My Plot Synopsis

Nora Grey is in love beyond her wildest imagination (and her imagination has definitely run amuck in the past). Her boyfriend, Patch, isn’t your every day guy. He’s a smexy, badass fallen-angel-turned-guardian-angel, and he happens to be Nora’s Guardian. Dating a guardian angel must not be a walk in the park, especially one who has outsmarted the archangels at their own game. And archangels don’t like to be slapped around by their own rules.

Once Nora confesses her feelings to Patch, he starts to pull away. In fact, it seems as though some gravitational pull has caught ahold of him and is yanking him closer and closer to Marcie Millar. *barf* Nora is beside herself with grief, and she can’t get a straight answer from Patch. Is he doing this for her own safety, or because Marcie undeniable puts out? We all know Patch can be described as anything but angelic…

In the interim, a distant childhood friend of Nora’s – Scotty the Hottie - moves into town and something isn’t quite right about him. Yet, despite warnings from Patch, Nora is determined to live her life without his interference. Nora also begins to have odd dreams about her father, and without Patch around to decipher the meanings, Nora sets out to piece together the truth about her Nephilim blood line.

My Thoughts
Due to the situations and mood of the book, we didn’t get a ton of the snarky, sarcastic Patch that I fell in love with in Hush, Hush. He was very serious in this book, given the circumstances. His fun personality poked through a bit in the beginning, but then all was lost to his secret mission that is finally revealed at the end. While I missed this side of Patch, it definitely made sense and fit the story. However, he is still soooo smexy. *cat call*

We learn more about the Nephilim and fallen angel history and linkages in this book. We also get an unhealthy, unwanted dose of Marcie Millar. On the bright side, Vee was much more likeable and less annoying in this book. I quite enjoyed her this time around. In a way, she replaced Patch with her witty lines.

Nora wasn’t as likeable in this book. She sprouted fire from her mouth on many occasion and it was completely out of character for her. Her logical, independent nature slid into the depths of irrational, i-can’t-live-without-you land. It angers me that once again, a young female character feels as though life can’t go on without her love interest. Ugh. Nora has moments of clarity and refuses to let her loss of Patch rule her existence, but she always slumps back into a depressive state. I get it, I’ve been there, but this seemed so melodramatic. At one point she talked about not continuing on with life, and I became greatly angered. This is such a major issue with young people, and it breaks my heart to know that many young adults do go through with that very decision.

I have the same gripe about this book as I did about Hush, Hush. Nora, once again, was left home alone for days at a time. I know this is a fantasy book, but when you are bringing humans into the mix, you have to keep it somewhat realistic.

I think the world was better flushed out than Hush, Hush, but I think that is probably common for subsequent books in series. I definitely loved the use of flashbacks and dreams to piece the story together. Patch ended up infiltrating Nora’s dreams to speak with her ‘privately’. I thought that was a neat touch.

In the end, I was surprised, although it doesn’t take a lot for me. There are some interesting twists and a serious cliffhanger! I am itching to find out what happens next! We have to wait an entire YEAR for Tempest! So cruel…*sobs*

My Favorite Quotes

"I’m going to grab a cheeseburger,” I told Patch. “Want anything?”
“Nothing on the menu.”
I smiled. “Why, Patch, are you flirting with me?"

Everything had come into sharp focus : his smooth words, his black, glinting eyes, his broad experience with lies, seduction, women. I'd fallen in love with the devil.

"Don’t start. I saw Marcie climb inside your Jeep.”

“She needed a ride.”

I adopted a hands-on-hips pose. “What kind of ride?”

“Not that kind of ride,” he said slowly."

“That’s very eco-friendly of you,” Vee told Marcie. “Recycling Nora’s old trash.”

"I hung my fingertips on his waistband, tugging him closer.

"I love you," he murmured into my hair. "I'm happier right now than I ever remember being."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crescendo.

Quotes Smash Liked

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Patch stood over me, and a drop of rain slid from his hair, landing like ice on my collarbone. I felt it slide along my skin, disappearing beneath the neckline of my shirt. His eyes followed the raindrop, and I began to quiver on the inside.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I’m going to grab a cheeseburger,” I told Patch. “Want anything?”
“Nothing on the menu.”
I smiled. “Why, Patch, are you flirting with me?”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I watched him pitch the ball at a table neatly lined with six bowling pins, my stomach giving a little flutter when his T-shirt crept up in the back, revealing a stripe of skin. I knew from experience that every inch of him was hard, defined muscle. His back was smooth and perfect too, the scars from when he’d fallen once again replaced with wings—wings I, and every other human, couldn’t see.

“Five dollars says you can’t do it again,” I said, coming up behind him.

Patch looked back and grinned. “I don’t want your money, Angel.”

“Hey now, kids, let’s keep this discussion PG-rated,” Rixon said.

“All three remaining pins,” I challenged Patch.

“What kind of prize are we talking about?” he asked.

“Bloody hell,” Rixon said. “Can’t this wait until you’re alone?”

Patch gave me a secret smile, then shifted his weight back, cradling the ball into his chest. He dropped his right shoulder, brought his arm around, and sent the ball flying forward as hard as he could. There was a loud crack! and the remaining three pins scattered off the table.

“Aye, now you’re in trouble, lass,” Rixon shouted at me over the commotion caused by a pocket of onlookers, who were clapping and whistling for Patch. Patch leaned back against the booth and arched his eyebrows at me. The gesture said it all: Pay up.

“You got lucky,” I said.

“I’m about to get lucky.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I nibbled my lower lip. "If you could see into my past just by touching my back, you'd have a hard time resisting the temptation too."

"I have a hard time keeping my hands off you without that added bonus.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Everything had come into sharp focus: his smooth words, his black, glinting eyes, his broad experience with lies, seduction, women. I'd fallen in love with the devil.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“You're mine, Angel," he murmured, brushing the words across my jawbone as I arched my neck higher, inviting him to kiss everywhere. "You have me forever.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Being with you never felt wrong. It's the one thing I did right. You're the one thing I did right.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“He felt warm and familiar. He felt solid and safe. I wanted to cling to his shirt, bury my face into the warm curve of his neck, and never let go.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“He sucked some of the rain from my bottom lip, and I felt his mouth smile against mine. He swept my hair aside and kissed me just above the collarbone. He nibbled at my ear, then sank his teeth into my shoulder. I hung my fingertips on his waistband, tugging him closer. Patch buried his face in the curve of my shoulder, his hands flexing over my back. He gave a low groan.

“I love you,” he murmured into my hair. “I’m happier right now than I ever remember being.”

Becca Fitzpatrick
“Don’t start. I saw Marcie climb inside your Jeep.”

“She needed a ride.”

I adopted a hands-on-hips pose. “What kind of ride?”

“Not that kind of ride,” he said slowly.”

11/13/2010 page 80
19.0% "Booooooo."
11/13/2010 page 235
55.0% "Awww. This book is breaking me heart. *sniff*"
show 2 hidden updates…

Lea Ivy this book is soo good, what do you think about it so far?

Smash I haven't actually opened it yet - later tonight. :) I've read some reviews that make me hesitate and sad. :(

Lea Ivy oh, okay :) crescendo is kind of a drag in the beginning and Nora was really annoying, but in the later chapters it gets good and it leaves you wanting for more. :)

Smash My review is above. :)

message 5: by Lea Ivy (last edited Nov 17, 2010 01:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea Ivy ahaa! i love your review! :) i completely agree!