Adam McDonald's Reviews > Pygmy

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

M 50x66
Jun 12, 2010

Recommended for: Chuck Palahniuk fans and people who enjoy twisted fiction.
Read from June 08 to 11, 2010 , read count: 1

CLASSIC Chuck! Hard to read (literally, hard to read in the way it was written), gross, yet making great points about consumerism and how it has infected the American Way. Trust me here, you won't like it at first. It takes at LEAST 20 pages to get into the dialect it's written in (if you've read Trainspotting, you'll understand what I'm talking about) and even after that, there were times I had to re-read the same paragraph a few times to get what was going on.

Chuck presents an anti-hero you really do hate at first, until we see why the character is the way he is, and then you feel pity for him, until he does something else fucked up!

Chuck surprised me with the ending, and I won't give it away, other than to say it was different and not nearly as nihilistic as his other books. I would almost dare to say he's gone soft if not for the fact that I read his newer book, Tell-All, before this one.

Short book, but not a 'fast' read, due to the way he wrote it, but highly recommended! You'll never be able to think of cliched martial arts moves again! Punching Panda THRUST!
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pygmy.

04/04 marked as: read