Andrea Guy's Reviews > My Lady Midnight

My Lady Midnight by Laurie Grant

Jun 12, 10

bookshelves: harlequin, historical-fiction
Read in June, 2010

This was an excellent medieval romance with a lot of drama to go along with the love story. I loved how Alain cared for both of his children and even more so, how Claire "Haesal" easily became the most important woman in their lives. In this story the children were really the most important characters, next to the hero and heroine. If they came off poorly it would have spoiled the whole book. Thankfully bother Guerin and Perry were sweet and adorable. There was wonderful sibling banter between the two.

Claire's struggle with her growing feelings for Alain was believable. It had to be hard to start falling for a man that you believed didn't care for your cousin, to whom he had been married to previously. She had quite a struggle too, warring with how she felt and what to do about her duplicity.

The only thing about the book that struck me as odd, was that no one really noticed how Father Gregory wasn't very priestly or pious. There were too many things about him early on that pointed to him being a bad guy. Especially when the young squire started to recover and then took a turn for the worse.

I was also glad when she finally told Alain the truth about her reasons for being Hawkswell. Alain might have forgiven her faster than I would have expected, but I think that after all the time she had spent with the children and how protective she was of them, that there was no way she meant them any harm.

All the character's were well rounded and well developed and really helped carry the story. This was a great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lady Midnight.