Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Highlander In Her Bed

Highlander In Her Bed by Allie Mackay

2043222
Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: highlander-books

Wow, the ratings on this book are pretty much all 1 and 2 stars. Wish I'd checked before I read it.

My reason for the low rating was that Mara was an idiot. I liked Alex, but he basically cursed himself to haunt his bridal bed for 700 years because the MacDougalls betrayed him and killed his men. His bride set it all up. Then Colin MacDougall (the one who kills him) takes his bride and the bed. Then he screws up Alex's reputation and history has him down as a rat and an all around bad guy.

So I'm thinking the key to getting him out of his ghostly state is to clear his name, right? Apparently not, since they never did that, and he even names his son after Colin. Riight.

It pissed me off because it wasn't just a small grievance like cattle rieving-it was betrayal to the Bruce, and slander. But Alex never really set Mara straight on any of that either...so if your cause is so all-fired important that you haunt your enemies for 700 years, I find it hard to believe that you'll name your first-born son after the man who killed you.

But that's just me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highlander In Her Bed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

(Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes I didn't say the books were good, just loaned them to you! LOL

♡Karlyn P♡ Good review Laura! I see I gave this 3-stars, which was probably quite generous considering how I remember this book. I never did read anymore by this author, but I will say the premise was good - just not well executed. I remember going back through the book to count how many times the hero/heroine actually had a meaningful conversation, and it was just a few times. They were fantasizing about each other, but to fall in love after just a few quick conversations was just one part of this story I didn't buy. Ah well, at least there are hundreds of yummy highlander romances books for us to enjoy!

Laura the Highland Hussy @Kelly- lol it's okay :) I'm sending them on back with a couple others of yours this week :)

@KarlynP- I might skip Highlander in Her Dreams and go to Tall Dark and Kilted, but I might skim it to see if it's worth the read first...I'll report back here for all y'all

Barbee I loved this book and gave it 5 stars. I loved both Mara and Alexander. I think she one of the best historical Scottish romance writers around been reading her since 2001 her debut under both names. This book was spectacular! I laughed, I cried, so many twist and turns. It was truly magical I would give it more then 5 stars if allowed! Just saying

Leah I personally love all her stories under Welfonder and Mackay. I guess it's like they say....opinions are like _____s, everyone has one.

Laura the Highland Hussy Barbee wrote: "I loved this book and gave it 5 stars. I loved both Mara and Alexander. I think she one of the best historical Scottish romance writers around been reading her since 2001 her debut under both names..."

That's great Barbee, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've tried her several times and I just don't enjoy her stories.

Laura the Highland Hussy Leah wrote: "I personally love all her stories under Welfonder and Mackay. I guess it's like they say....opinions are like _____s, everyone has one."

Leah, you're absolutely right! Luckily this is a review site full of different opinions, so you can see all kinds of opposing viewpoints.