Joey's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Dec 19, 07

bookshelves: religion, non-fiction
Recommended for: Religious people with a sense of humor
Read in November, 2007

The Year of Living Biblically is the best book that I've read all year. I bought it mainly because the cover caught my attention in the new release section at Barnes and Noble. It is a true account of an agnostic man who decides to live the Bible as literally as he possibly can. He writes about the challenges of doing so physically, mentally, and relationally. I thought it was interesting to read about religion from a man's point-of-view who never considered religion before in his life. I laughed so many times. I learned so much about my own faith and found the book to be more mind opening and revealing about certain truths than a lot of devotional books that I've read. A.J. Jacobs writes with honesty and humility, which I respect because he could have easily just thrashed the absurdities of religion altogether. Instead, he attempts to learn about the world and mindset of those who practice religion as best as he can while still staying true to his own convictions. It is a hard balance and concept to write on, and he handled it pretty well in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.