Yolanda 's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Jul 14, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, 10-favs-for-10
Recommended for: anyone who loves a good novel
Read from July 08 to 14, 2010

A sweeping, emotionally riveting first novel—an enthralling family saga of Africa and America, doctors and patients, exile and home.

Marion and Shiva Stone are twin brothers born of a secret union between a beautiful Indian nun and a brash British surgeon at a mission hospital in Addis Ababa. Orphaned by their mother’s death in childbirth and their father’s disappearance, bound together by a preternatural connection and a shared fascination with medicine, the twins come of age as Ethiopia hovers on the brink of revolution. Yet it will be love, not politics—their passion for the same woman—that will tear them apart and force Marion, fresh out of medical school, to flee his homeland. He makes his way to America, finding refuge in his work as an intern at an underfunded, overcrowded New York City hospital. When the past catches up to him—nearly destroying him—Marion must entrust his life to the two men he thought he trusted least in the world: the surgeon father who abandoned him and the brother who betrayed him.

An unforgettable journey into one man’s remarkable life, and an epic story about the power, intimacy, and curious beauty of the work of healing others.{From Good Reads}

I loved this book. It is a long book but well worth the effort. Marion was my favorite character but I came to love all of the characters.

This book written by an MD and shows the beauty of medicine, surgery and the human body . He relays this knowledge so well to the reader.
This books also takes us on a journey through Ethopias recent past and the feelings all immigrants must feel when coming to America.

I read a lot of books and this book is one you become invested in and with the characters. I will long remember Marion, Shiva, Sister Mary Joseph Praise , Ghoush, Hema and Genet.

I feel this book will become a classic and I think anyone who loves a good novel,heartbreaking real characters and places will love this book.This book shows how the accidents and twists and turns of life lead us in the end to the people we are with all our faults but still capable of love and being loved.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Parsons I absolutely LOVED this book! One of my all-time favorites :)

Laura I do agree!!!

Robin Totally agree. Glad you liked it!

message 4: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Parsons This book is now in my Top 10 all-time favorites :)