Michelle's Reviews > Love the One You're With

Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin

Jun 13, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from June 12 to 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Chick lit is not normally my genre, but I will read certain authors, and Emily Giffin is one of them. I haven't read her books in many years so I don't know if I liked the previous 3 so much more because they were better or because I was at a different point in my life. Either way, I was underwhelmed here. The book moved along at a rapid clip and the author knows how to keep tension going but I had trouble buying into several things. The first being that Ellen would be so entranced by her ex-boyfriend after three months of marriage. 90 days! At that point you're still finding sand from your honeymoon in the bottom of your purse. Secondly, when she agrees to move to Atlanta (quite easily!) it doesn't even OCCUR to her to think about work, how much harder it is going to be to book the kind of jobs she could in NYC. Clearly she is moving there for her husband, but it doesn't even cross her mind and she is someone who loves her job. I had a really hard time with her after that. She is someone who just lets other people make all the decisions in her life and never stops to think about what she wants. All in, not a very likeable (or believable) character. Andy and Leo could BOTH do way better. The bright note is I do like the "love is a choice" theme - a concept I agree with. A quick read but very one dimensional and ultimately disappointing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love the One You're With.