AlixJamie's Reviews > The Redemption of Sarah Cain

The Redemption of Sarah Cain by Beverly  Lewis

Sep 28, 12

Read in February, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** This was the first book I had ever read by Beverly Lewis. I got it because I saw a clip of the movie and thought it looked interesting. I was disappointed to see that the movie had taken the more interesting angle of a city woman adopting five Amish children.
The first part of the book was good, but I got a little bored after a while with the characters constantly showing us what they were thinking. I would have liked to get to know the characters themselves, rather than reading a plethora of thoughts from only two or three of them.
Lyddie's relationship with Levi could have been fleshed out a little more. It was more interesting than a bunch of memories of the children's dead mother whom I had never gotten to know and didn't really care about.
The horrid regret that Sarah lived with and which was supposed to be a teaser that kept you reading got quite stale over the course of the book. By the time she actually came out and told us the whole thing, I had already put together the bits and pieces that I had been given and figured it out for myself.
I really liked the character of Caleb and was disappointed (again!) that he was not used more often. His thoughts were much more interesting than both Lyddie's and Sarah's. The younger girls were good as well.
I'm not sure what else to say about this book. If Mrs. Lewis had taken the idea that the movie was based on, instead of writing this, it might have been more interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Redemption of Sarah Cain.