Leah's Reviews > The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play

The Now Habit by Neil A. Fiore

Jun 24, 10

Read in June, 2010

I picked this book up out of desperation (I'm writing this review to procrastinate this very minute) because of my difficulties with deadlines, and the fact that I make myself sick trying to rush everything last minute. I'm not a fully functioning 'producer' just yet, but I'm optimistic that it may come in time with the help of self-talk and Fiore's advice. The two most important things I learned from this:

1) Stop telling yourself that you "have to" do something or you "should be" doing something. If we feel forced to do something it's only going to make us more resistant. I've always understood that in my interactions with other people, but I hadn't realized that my self talk was causing that same effect. The fact of the matter is I don't HAVE to write my paper. Instead, I can choose to write my paper, or I can choose to deal with the consequences of not writing my paper.

2. I've started using the "unschedule" provided in the book. Basically, you schedule all of your social interactions, and do your work around them. That way, you realize how much available time you have to complete the work you need to do, and learn how to prioritize. I'm too often caught in a trap where I never socialize because I feel as though I haven't gotten anything done, yet when I stay at home I procrastinate so much that I don't accomplish anything either. It just makes me resent work more because it feels as though it's taken away the things I enjoy in life. My only concern is that I'll make more time for "guilt-free play" and still never accomplish anything in my scheduled work times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Now Habit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Htb2050 I had this very thought when reading the unschedule chapter. The thought that I had while looking at the example time table was that if I have choose to make this whole timetable then its better to just watch tv because I don't want to get up and make a time table. I was procrastinating on a book about procrastination. :/