Al's Reviews > 24 Hour Lottery Ticket

24 Hour Lottery Ticket by Gayle Tiller

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: kindle, read-post-kindle-2010
Read in June, 2010

Emma Watkins, a disgraced judge has the winning ticket for the big prize in the lottery, but doesn't want her win made public for personal reasons that come out over the course of the story. She approaches the book's protaginist, Dianne Canton, a struggling attorney, for help. The twist is the deadline to redeem the ticket is only 24 hours away.

While the basic premise has potential and the character of Dianne is both likeable and well developed, the story suffers from several flaws.

The most significant of these is one of creditability. Would a former judge actually put something like this off until the last minute? Possibly, but I didn't belive it.

I'm no lawyer and don't expect a legal thriller to be 100% accurate in regards to actual laws, the working of the courts, and such. But at times the author seemed to be using her "literary license" to stretch reality a bit too much.

Last, the character of Emma was too unlikeable. While this quality is integral to the story it was overdone. She started out as an obnoxious ass and was the same at the end. If there is such a word as "overcharacterization" it would apply here. By the end of the book I was hoping they wouldn't be successful in redeeming the ticket while keeping the winner a secret. My hate for Emma outweighed my wish for Dianne to succeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 24 Hour Lottery Ticket.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stormy (new)

Stormy You've been reading this for over a week i think it's time you moved on lol.