Bridget's Reviews > Unicorn Point

Unicorn Point by Piers Anthony

Jun 12, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: 2010-rereads, fantasy, not-so-much, sci-fi, unicorns, sexual-assault
Read in June, 2010

I haven't read this series in ages, and I forgot a lot of it. It might just be that I was in a cranky mood when I read it this time, but man. For such an engaging story, I really hate the way female characters come across. From an emphasis on their "vanity" that supersedes almost all of their other attributes, to a pretty intense rape scene in a game sequence, it's really not a fun series for the chicks.

I also hate that the women are all lovely and pretty while many of the males are physically unattractive, but they end up together anyway. This wouldn't bug me so much if there were even one plain girl who ended up with a hot guy, but the constant emphasis on how women don't care so much about their mate's appearance while that's all men care about grates on my last nerve.

SIGH. I hate when a good story or well executed tv show or movie or whatever pushes such blatent sexism. I don't expect a perfect artistic world of feminist values, but geez it gets old when all I see are annoying stereotypes. Maybe these books are just suffering by getting caught in my current run of media with lousy female portrayls, but I'm pretty sure I won't be re-reading the last book in this series for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unicorn Point.

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I remember as a young teenager being puzzled by Heinlein's female characters...it wasn't until years later that I realized that having ALL your women be brainy, beautiful, and into babies is just as limiting a role as if all the women portrayed negative stereotypes. This is very frustrating!

message 2: by Ken (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ken well I don't remember the second tacked on set of books being worth as much as the first and this was a long time ago that I read these the last time. But didn't the girl in the second half wind up with the BEM.

One thing about Anthony is he seems to take his series just a couple of books too long

message 3: by Lorelei (last edited Aug 28, 2010 11:27PM) (new)

Lorelei Amen. All of Piers' sexism and perviness are what make me (and others) ashamed of reading him, too. He had talent; why did he have to continuously cheapen his work instead of developing some other element to make them even better books?