Jim's Reviews > Agyar

Agyar by Steven Brust

Oct 23, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal-urban, horror, 1paper, 2fiction

I like vampire novels & this isn't one nor is it horror or romance, yet it's all 3. The word 'vampire' is never once mentioned in the book, yet you're left with no doubt as to what Brust means. I really can't say more, maybe shouldn't have said that much. The process of discovery is one of the things that makes this book so well done. Each word is crafted with a precision that leads to inescapable conclusions, yet almost made me want to re-read it to see if I could have misunderstood.

The world is ours, with a slight twist, requiring very little suspension of belief for a fantasy. The characters are well done & I understood their motivations well, even when I didn't like them. There is a sense of predestination permeating the book, which I don't normally care for, but was pulled off in a masterful manner.

I really like Brust's writing, especially his Taltos series, but this book may well be the best that he's written. I don't LIKE it the best, don't re-read it as often as the Taltos books, but I think the writing & plot were the best he's ever done. It's just not as fun & relaxing as the others. Still, it isn't work. It's a fairly quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agyar.

Nancy I'm glad you liked this, Jim. It's one of the most unusual vampire novels I've read. I'll have to check out the Taltos series.

Miriam This is the work of Brust's that made me realize how much he was influenced by Zelazny.

message 3: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Couldn't have said it better myself. This is the state of his art.