Laura's Reviews > Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil

bookshelves: bookmooch, travel, true-crime, read-2011, america
Recommended to Laura by: Dawn
Recommended for: Bettie, Chrissie
Read from December 29 to 30, 2011

Just arrived from Finland through BM.

What a pity this book ended. I must find a way to visit this beautiful city of Savannah.

The story is about the trial of Jim Williams, a Savannah's socialite and an international antiques dealer, crazy by the famous Faberge eggs, which was accused of the murder of Danny Handsford.

After had discovered that a super-saver fare to Savannah cost the same as an entree in a Manhattan restaurant, the author spent eight years fitting between these two cities. In this way, his travelogue is intertwined with Williams' story that have been tried four times in a middle of a legal battle.

A remarkable piece of work by John Berendt and I am looking forward to read more books by this author.

Below, some wonderful houses in the Victorian District in Savannah: Williams’ Mercer house, Lee and Emma Adler House and The Hamilton-Turner house mentioned to this book.

But what about the Bird Girl Statue?

According to Wikipedia, "only four statues were made from the original plaster cast.

The first went to the Massachusetts garden.

The second was sent to Washington, D.C., and is now located in Reading, Pennsylvania.

The third was purchased by a family in Lake Forest and has never relocated.

The fourth and most famous statue was bought by a family in Savannah, Georgia, who named it Little Wendy and set it up at her family's plot in Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, Georgia."

A film adaptation of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in 1997, directed by Clint Eastwood, where Kevin Spacey played the role of Jim Williams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil.

12/29/2011 page 126
32.0% "[image error] Lee and Emma Adler House 425 Bull St. Built in 1858 for the Rev. Charles Rogers, this lovely brick 5-bedroom townhouse is the home of Jim Williams’ arch rival, Lee Adler. The feud between the two men, who had different perspectives on preservation, was much described in The Book. The house is directly across the side street from Williams’ Mercer"
32.0% ""
12/29/2011 page 126
32.0% "Savannah’s Laurel Grove Cemetery "
32.0% ""
12/29/2011 page 126
32.0% "Savannah’s Laurel Grove Cemetery was established in 1853 for Savannah’s African American Community."
12/29/2011 page 126
32.0% "Lee and Emma Adler House "
12/29/2011 page 126
32.0% "Williams’ Mercer house "
12/30/2011 page 126
32.0% "The Hamilton-Turner house [image error]"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mary Oh, this is a good one- enjoy!

message 2: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Laura, please check Bettie's review. We posted some great pics and links to Savannah. This is only about 4 hours from my home and while I have not been to Savannah yet, I do plan to go in the near future. Enjoy!!

Laura this book promises to be a good reading, thanks guys!!!

Kathleen Just last week we talked about a girl trip to Savannah - it really is a beautiful town.

Laura I must visit this city some day....

☯Bettie☯ You are posting some lovely pictures here - brings the book to life.

Laura The Hamilton-Turner house

[image error]

Laura Savannah Bird Girl Statue:

[image error]

message 9: by CLM (new)

CLM I was never able to get into this book but for an equally vivid sense of Savannah I recommend one of my all time favorites, Savannah Purchase by Jane Aiken Hodge

Laura just added it to my TBR, many thanks!!

message 11: by Cecile (new) - added it

Cecile Just visited the city. What a wonderful experience. Would love to go again . Bought the book after touring the house where the murder occurred-haven't started it yet.

Laura I hope I'll be able to visit this city also Cecile.

Laura thanks Haidji