Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Huntress

2043222
Nov 19, 10

Read from June 11 to 19, 2010

"Devil's Bargain" by Christine Warren-3 stars
Christine Warren's book was not her usual fantastic stuff. It wasn't bad, at all, don't get me wrong, I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of her "Others" stories. It's about a girl who is a bounty hunter for a devil (not THE devil, but one of the devils) and her last order is to get a certain book. Well owner of said book is studious and incredibly handsome and won't give it up without a fight. They fight, they kiss, they get interrupted, they kiss some more, fall in love and outsmart the devil. Seriously. And it was interesting, steamy and certain parts were funny, but it wasn't fantastic.

I probably won't read the Marjorie M. Liu story...her writing's very good, but the stories just aren't my taste.

Caitlin Kittredge-1 star
I can honestly say I will never read her again. It was lame, and both characters were unlikeable. Seriously. Not one redeeming factor in the heroin chic punk hero, or the wannabe demon slayer heroine. I realize it takes place in 1990 (btw, wtf? Really? What was so special about 1990? New Kids on the Block?), but everybody smoked. It was to the point where each sentence began with "A curl of blue smoke slipped from his/her lips." I couldn't find that sexy. If someone lights up a cigarette, fine, no problem, but it was every friggin' sentence.

"Sin Slayer" by Jenna MacLaine-5 stars
Wow, do I love Cin and Michael. I wanted this to be longer-it was a great short, but it would have made a fantastic full-length novel.
Jack the Ripper is killing humans in London. The vamps shrug and think "No big"...until he starts killing vampires.
Cin and the Righteous are called to London and I can't say anything other than that. If you are a fan of Cin Craven, you NEED to read this. I'm trying to get my greedy little hands on the Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance now that I know there's a Cin short story in it.
This is one amazing series and I love when an author can do a great job with shorts, it kept me happy while I wait for the next book to be delivered to me.

btw, this short story comes AFTER Bound By Sin I read it before and am getting ahead of myself in the series. It's frustrating.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Huntress.

06/11/2010 page 42
12.0% "I'm fairly disappointed with Christine Warren! She's so much better than this!"
06/11/2010 page 55
16.0% ""the monster in his pants" lol"
06/12/2010 page 91
27.0% "3 stars for Christine Warren's story, Not her usual awesome story...but not bad by any means."

Comments (showing 1-15)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Oh I want this one! It has Caitlin Kittredge and Christine Warren in it! Shame you the CW doesn't sound so good though

Laura the Highland Hussy It was okay, but she writes incredible shorts in her "Fixed" series, I'm not sure why this one was just "okay" rather than "fabulous"

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) CW does seem to be a bt hit and miss, some of her books are great, some just average

Laura the Highland Hussy I think it was an enjoyable short, and I'll look at it like that.

♥ Sarah ♥ Hmmm, I'd never heard of Christine Warren before but sounds interesting. I'll have to give The Other's series a shot too.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thay are good Sarah, you should give them a shot, they tend to funny and entertaining, nothing to heavy : )

message 9: by ♥ Sarah ♥ (last edited Nov 20, 2010 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♥ Sarah ♥ Suzanne,

Good to hear! I love it when a series isn't afraid to throw in humor, it makes the characters seem so much more real to me.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Same here, I like to know I have a series that I can go to if I want to laugh. Have you read Shelly Laurenston?

♥ Sarah ♥ No, I haven't. I just searched her though. Looks like she has a few different series, are they good?

Laura the Highland Hussy I've heard great things about her Pride series, but I haven't read it.

And I think you'd like Christine Warren. I love the Others "world" that she's built.
on my review for Prince Charming Doesn't Live Here I put the reading order, because CW is re-writing a bunch of her erotic shorts into full length pnr :D which is awesome!

message 5: by ♥ Sarah ♥ (last edited Nov 20, 2010 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♥ Sarah ♥ Good thing you mentioned the reading order because I added the first Others book to my to-read list but I didn't realize that some of them are re-writes. I'll have to definitely check those out.

I love a good PNR book that isn't afraid to get down and dirty with the love scenes too. Some romance writers rush through what could have been a perfectly good love scene and it's quite a disappointment. I'd imagine that a previous erotic short writer wouldn't do that.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) From what I remember of Christine Warren, she goes into enough detail in her love scenes to make it sexy, but not so much that things start gushing and it all seems a bit gross and that they both have serious incontinence problems lol

oh Shelly Laurenston is amazing! So funny, as in psychotic funny lol

Here are her series:

Magnus Pack:

Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Go Fetch! (Magnus Pack, #2) by Shelly Laurenston Here Kitty, Kitty! (Magnus Pack, #3) by Shelly Laurenston When He Was Bad (includes Magnus Pack, #4) by Shelly Laurenston

Pride:

The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston The Beast in Him (Pride, #2) by Shelly Laurenston The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3) by Shelly Laurenston The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4) by Shelly Laurenston Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5) by Shelly Laurenston

The Pride series is better, but they are both great : )

♥ Sarah ♥ Thanks Suzanne, I'll have to check those out!

Carolyn F. Marjorie Liu's story ended up being my favorite. Too bad you didn't read it.

Laura the Highland Hussy Carolyn F. wrote: "Marjorie Liu's story ended up being my favorite. Too bad you didn't read it."

I might go back to it later on, but I'm just not a huge fan of hers. I still have the book, and sometimes I'm in the mood for a short story, so I can always pull it off the shelf.
Thanks for the comment :)