Jasmin's Reviews > Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean

Nov 17, 2014

bookshelves: four-stars, historical-fiction, historical-romance, reviewed-by-me, romance, must-read-series
Read from November 01 to 02, 2010

This book made me think of fruits. Of all the things, FRUITS. I am actually about to compare people to fruits. Fruits could be either IN or OUT of season. A certain type of fruit could have a higher demand than the other. Just like people. The early 1900s, THIN and other qualities I do not possess was IN season.

And Calpurnia Hartwell’s face, and obviously her name, is out of season, so it’s not a wonder how she ended up on the spinster shelf. Calpurnia, Callie for short, has been the perfect model of propriety for years. She has done nothing reckless, until one night she decided to be crazy and do it all! From being in a complete somber mood after being called passive, Callie just makes a list of things she had never imagined doing and just goes for it.

To kiss someone--passionately, was first on Callie’s list. With a few sips of sherry, she decides to do it the same night and ends up on the front door of Gabriel St. John, Earl of Ralston, the man who had been Callie’s fantasy ever since her failed debut.

Nine Rules to Romancing a Rake is a hilarious and amusing story of a spinster and a rake. I loved how Callie was a strong heroine, but this book falls short to be a five star read. The first part of the story was engaging, however, it became too predictable when I was nearing the end. This is not the most unique of stories, considering I haven’t read that much books. The hero also wasn't as delectable as I hoped he would be.
____

BTW, does anyone else, aside from Baron Oxford (one of the arrogant characters in the book), think that the woman on the cover, which I imagine would be nobody but Calpurnia, fat? He called her a Piglet. If she’s a Piglet, then what am I? A hippo?

Anyway, beauty is based on perspective. Even body size.

But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be hoping for qualities I possess to be in season/ in demand, hopefully soon! XD
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake.

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Let us know if you like it as much as these recent reviewers! sounds lime a fun read!

Jasmin sure will :)

Jasmin Ate Jayne, it was good, but it wasn't a five star read for me. :/

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jasmin, this wasn't a 5-Star read for me either but I did enjoy it. Look forward to reading your review later!

Catherine I'd have to agree that the girl on the cover is definitely not fat. Probably they used someone thinner than described in the story to make the dress look better. That style seems to look best on the tall, willowy build.

Jasmin Nice point Cath. It just hit a nerve. XD

message 8: by Catherine (last edited Nov 06, 2010 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine I feel ya! LOL.

message 9: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie Great review,Jasmin! I plan on getting to this in the new year.

Jasmin @Cath, and I thought it was just me.

@Ate Nissie, thanks. I hope you enjoy this more than I did. :D

Ronyell Great review Jasmin!! I was wondering the same thing too about the woman on the cover and how they considered her fat? I don't get it! :D

Jasmin Dont worry Ronyell. It's still a wonder to me, that it hurts my feelings. LOL! :D

Ronyell LOL!!