Megan's Reviews > The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy, not-mine-library, horror
Read from October 20 to 24, 2010

The Replacement started out so strong; cool, creepy and a little disturbing. The story takes place in a small town where children are abducted and then replaced with unnatural replicas. No one knows who takes the children, where they go or why they are stolen. People just know that once they leave, they are gone for good. The replacements never live for long. Adding to the eeriness is the fact that none of the towns people talk about the oddness of their town. Despite living in modern times, the community adorn their homes with iron to ward off the thieves and make witch totems in the fall. When we meet the beasties responsible for stealing the children, they don’t disappoint. Brenna Yovanoff created wonderfully spooky and unsettling monsters. Unfortunately, the story fell apart soon after.

Where to begin? It’s hard to critique without giving away spoilers. But let me say that there was a weird connection between adoration and rock music that I just didn’t get. And frankly it didn’t seem that Yaovanoff was that invested in it either, because after explaining and touching on it briefly, the whole thing was never addressed again.

But what bugged me even more is that this turned into a very typical teen story. Protagonist Mackie Doyle is special. He sees the world with fresh, teenager eyes and is appalled that adults are so willing to accept their horrid fate rather than change it. Mackie, with the help of his loyal friends, sets out to right generations worth of wrongs with… wit? Intelligence? Talent? No, he simply barges in without a plan, cusses a little bit and challenges everyone in his path. Because he is right and they are stupid.

Mackie himself isn’t too believable either. In the beginning we are introduced to an awkward, isolated boy with few friends. But when faced with adversity and the opposite sex he suddenly becomes quite calm, collected and sure of himself. Sorry, I’m not buying it. It would have been great to have see this kid grow into a different person, but when faced with a challenge he always approached his foes with tons of bravado. We never saw any character development from him. He was just a weird kid one minute, and a self-assured little adult the next.

The horror aspect of The Replacement was amazing. And the rest is okay. But, like so many other YA novels, my discontent stems from the fact that, as an adult, very little of this is new material to me. I definitely get why there was so much hype around this book. And hopefully other adults who have read this will get why I’m just giving it two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

10/21/2010 page 119
34.0% ""Intention is one of the most powerful forces there is. What you mean when you do a thing will always determine the outcome. The law creates the world.""
10/22/2010 page 216
61.0% "It's starting to fall apart now :(" 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana This book was heavily hyped up. I dont think I'd ever be interested in actually reading it, but I am curious if it lives up to the hype.

Megan So far it's cool & creepy ~ a good Halloween read :)