Jackie's Reviews > Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average

Why We Make Mistakes by Joseph T. Hallinan

F 50x66
Jun 11, 10

Read in June, 2010

Lots of ideas substantiated with data and studies... Depressed people see things realistically. Happy people think outside of the box. It is easier to not act than to act and make a mistake. The line to the left will almost always be shortest. We make decisions part from the gut and part from being rational-- the problem is when we make a smart decision we don't know how the decision was made. One way to improve the quality of your decisions is to document your decisions (i.e. not just why you chose A but why you didn't chose B or C) and then monitor what the outcome of your decision and of the choices not taken. The next time you face a similar decision, that information would provide feedback. Also, more information doesn't improve the quality of the decision reached but it does improve your confidence in that decision. In other words, more information increases overconfidence.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Make Mistakes.