Jill's Reviews > Prozac Nation

3772078
Jul 08, 10

Recommended for: Sylvia Plath fans; friends and family of depressives
Read in January, 2010

Full of voice and imagery; tons of figurative language. High-level vocabulary, complex sentence structure. I would definitely use parts of this book to teach writing. That being said, I wanted to kill her by the end of the book and put her out of her misery. You start out feeling sorry for her, but by the end you're tired of all the whining. She annoyed me. I wanted to tell her to shut up and stop being so demanding and self-centered. Which, as she states in the afterword, was exactly how she wanted the reader to react: "That means you'd felt a frustration and a fury reading the book that might even be akin to the sense of futility experienced by most people who try to deal in real life with an actual depressive." True. My sister is a depressive, and I've been plenty annoyed with her, too. Wurtzel sets out to show, not tell. And she does. I admire a writer who has a clear vision and purpose, especially one that doesn't follow the traditional lines of autobiographical rhetoric. I especially admire a writer who accomplishes that purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prozac Nation.