Sydney →☺ 's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Jun 12, 10

bookshelves: books-i-despise
Recommended for: Anyone who likes their heroines stupid and whiny and their men sparkly and with without flaws
I own a copy

I have one thing to say about this book: poorly developed. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's all horribly written -- just the dialouge is bad. But the characters are all, for the most part, annoying and not creative at all.
We have Bella, our main character. Bella is the most annoying, whiny girl you could possibly meet. All she does is whine -- whine about moving to Forks, whine about Edward not turning her into a vampire, just about everything. This shows how self-centered she really is, underneath all that 'true love' crap. Bella, what would you know about true love? You knew the guy for like 10 minutes and you loved him. Really, the basis of their relationship is Bella's attraction to Edward because he's handsome and Edward's lust for her blood. This is how their 'true love' relationship starts. Along with being whiny, she's also clingy and unable to rely on herself. Instead, she has to rely on a guy. When Edward comes along, she ditches all of her new friends just to be with him. Her friendships slowly deteriorate, yet she doesn't care as long as she has Edward. Then when Edward leaves in New Moon, she falls apart completely. She breaks down. I'm surprised she wasn't locked in a mental hospital after this book. Then Jacob comes -- and she slowly 'almost' heals. She doesn't care that she's hurting him by using him as an Edward replacement, all she cares about is herself. So much for love.
Then we have Edward. The perfect, sparkly vampire. There isn't much to say about him, mainly because he has absolutely no personality. It seems the purpose of his existence is to appease and fret over Bella. Oh, Bella. After hundreds of years, you'd think he could find a better girl.
Jacob is the final main character. Out of these three, he is by far the best. He has personality, and is actually interesting, and not without flaws. The only problem is he's a little... angsty. But after what Bella puts him through, who wouldn't be?
It seems the best characters are all the supporting ones -- Victoria, Jasper, etc. This, for an author who's usually so good, is extremely sad.
There's one more thing -- the PLOT. A human, vampire, werewolf love triangle. Very common. So uncreative. For a book that had so much potential, this one fails utterly. AND VAMPIRES SHOULDN'T SPARKLE!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

Jevron McCrory Preach on sister!!

Sydney →☺   Jevron wrote: "Preach on sister!!"

Oh I will :D