Karen's Reviews > The Wake of the Lorelei Lee: Being an Account of the Adventures of Jacky Faber, on her Way to Botany Bay

The Wake of the Lorelei Lee by L.A. Meyer

Jun 11, 10

Read in June, 2010

I've only been disappointed by one Jacky Faber book (In the Belly of the Bloodhound, if you're curious). As that statement would imply, I was certainly NOT disappointed by the Wake of the Lorelei Lee. What it does not tell you, though, is that I think this may be my favorite of all the tales of the impetuous yet pragmatic young adventurer.

In this installment, Jacky Faber is once again on the brink of being united in matrimony with her beloved Jaimy, and once again events play out in a way to make that impossible. You would think the reader would get sick of this -- and indeed, I often find myself thinking "oh, just get on with it already" -- but I know that if Jacky and Jaemy DO end up together, Jacky's adventures won't be anywhere near as thrilling.

After fitting out her new brigantine, the Lorelei Lee, Jacky travels to England to pick up a cargo of immigrants and marry Jaimy. Upon her arrival, however, she's waylaid by the vile Bilcher and Fletchly (whose names I'm probably misspelling, but I can't be bothered to look them up) who take her to Newgate Prison where she's tried for crimes including piracy and treason. Found guilty and sentenced to life at the penal colony in New South Wales, Australia, Jacky is bundled back aboard her own ship, this time as a convict.

The ship is populated primarily by prostitutes, who are encouraged to ply their trade on board and in port, and Jacky becomes the favorite of the captain -- and coveted by the (evil, of course) first mate.

Their adventures aboard the laxly run ship take them to India, where Jacky adopts a young Untouchable, and into seas controlled by a young Chinese woman (and author's note explains that she was, without a doubt, the most successful of all pirates).

While Jacky is enjoying a relatively pleasant voyage, her beloved Jaimy is aboard a Hell ship, the Cerberus. Jaimy was also convicted to a stint in New South Wales, but first he must survive the journey.

Pirates. Music. Intrigue. And a fair amount of sex. While nominally books for teens, like all the Bloody Jack adventures this is one that will be equally enjoyed by adults. My only problem with reading this as a galley (provided by Houghton-Mifflin on www.netgalley.com) is that now I have EVEN LONGER to wait for the next installment!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wake of the Lorelei Lee.

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca I got this from Amazon Vine. While I do like the series still I would like to see Jacky get her happy ending already, I've been feeling "Enough already!" for the last couple of books. I wouldn't mind seeing the author write about a new character instead so Jacky can just have her wedding and happy ending already!