Petra Eggs's Reviews > Twenty Chickens for a Saddle: The Story of an African Childhood

Twenty Chickens for a Saddle by Robyn Scott

Jun 11, 2010

bookshelves: biography-true-story, travel-adventure
Read from June 11, 2010 to August 25, 2011

If you enjoy reading undemanding rambling stories that never actually get anywhere but have a cast of interesting characters, you might enjoy this book. Its about a family of three children being unschooled in the bush of Botswana by an alternative-living author from New Zealand, her flying doctor husband and their various friends, enemies and family living in Botswana. They are all very unconventional and none of them gives a damn about that either. For instance, Grandpa's bedroom decoration is the wings from a plane he crashed. Preteens driving trucks without brakes are encouraged by the parents as is riding motorbikes but not guns. Not because guns and shooting are bad, but because an animal might get shot!

The title refers to a business started by the author when she was 11 - rescuing burned-out chickens and inducing them to begin laying again by paradisical (for a hen) living conditions and then selling the organic eggs at a high price to fellow ex-pats, thereby making a profit to buy the much-desired saddle of the title, and delaying the chickens ultimate and obvious end for at least a year.

A good read for a long flight or perhaps a bag book to pull out while waiting in line. Nothing much ever happens so it won't matter if you put the book down or even forget it somewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Chickens for a Saddle.

09/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Can't "send a message" so just checking to find out if you're alright? Are you on your small Caribbean island at the moment?

Petra Eggs Gayle wrote: "Can't "send a message" so just checking to find out if you're alright? Are you on your small Caribbean island at the moment?"

Yes, I did a little update. Irene scored a direct hit and knocked out current in the rainforest for three days. I had to sail to another island for my son to fly down to Barbados and it was a bumpy and wet sail for me and pretty bad for him flying, but here I am, back on the net and doing fine. Thank you for asking. :-)

message 3: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Excellent, she's headed here now. Glad you are good.

Petra Eggs Good luck! I hope it passes quickly and is just the proverbial 'storm in a teacup'.

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I am glad to hear you and your son are safe. My daughter just moved to Brooklyn, and has experienced an earthquake and now a hurricane in one week.

message 6: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan You don't have to say what dates you read the book. You can change it to leave it blank.

Petra Eggs Meaghan wrote: "You don't have to say what dates you read the book. You can change it to leave it blank."

I want the date. I want the date of read and reviewed, but I don't care about added.

message 8: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan Maybe you could add a notice (or a private note) to your review saying "reviewed on such and such date."

Petra Eggs I do that, but I want to be able to sort my books by when I reviewed them. And that I can't do. Other people want a reread date, I don't reread hardly ever, and I want a review date. Lots of people review books at a much later stage than when they finished reading them.

message 10: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan Have you suggested this on the Goodreads feedback forum?

Petra Eggs Yes. Can't say it got major support though. I think adding columns is perhaps difficult, going to change the database too much. But if they are going to add one for rereads, then it shouldn't be difficult for it to be self-titled, so that a the column that sorts by date could be personalised.

Marlene Home schooled is not unschooled ...

Petra Eggs Marlene wrote: "Home schooled is not unschooled ..."

I didn't say they were homeschooled, I said they were unschooled which is an educational method of raising children generally at home. It is a completely different philosophy which you would have known if you'd looked it up rather than decide to correct me.

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike "Nothing much ever happens so it won't matter if you put the book down or even forget it somewhere.

Perfect for forgetting it in a seat pocket, or fumbling it when pass through customs lines, etc. Excellent observation.

Petra Eggs I hate losing books. Not too long ago I lost Warrior Herdsmen and I was insanely pissed off. All I had was twenty or thirty pages left to read. The book wasn't so easy to find so it was a while before I got another one. Then I had to read it all over again.