Shannon's Reviews > Here, There Be Dragons

Here, There Be Dragons by James A. Owen

Jun 14, 10

Read in June, 2010

This is the third time I've tried to sit down and write a review of this book, so let's home the third time's a charm.

Here, There Be Dragons is a book that was better in concept than execution. I heard about this book when my eight year old checked out the audio book of the third in the series. We listened to part of it together and I decided I would prefer to go back and start at the beginning (my daughters could care less whether they start at the beginning of the series, the end or somewhere in the middle - not sure where they got that!).

So here's what the first book in the series is about: Three young Englishmen (John, Jack and Charles) from WWI London get swept up in another world when one is chosen the caretaker of the Imaginarium Geographica. They end up in the Archipelago of Dreams, a world where mythology, fantasy and fiction are reality. The Archipelago is linked to "our" world and events in one influence the other. Over the course of this book, we meet famous historical and mythological characters, but the key weakness of the book was that I failed to connect with the characters emotionally. Even many pages into the book, I had to work a bit to keep John, Jack and Charles straight in my mind. Was this the author's weakness or my own? I'm not entirely certain, but as character development is an important component of any novel I love, I would wager that it wasn't entirely my failing.

If you've enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, are a devoted fan of Tolkien or CS Lewis or love intricate fantasy novels, I would recommend this book. Otherwise, I suggest you just close your eyes for a moment and imagine a world where the mythologies we've read really do exist just beyond the horizon of our experience - that's the best part of this book - the imagining it for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here, There Be Dragons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I saw where you gave this 3 stars and then no review, and I thought, that's weird. :) Hope all is well!

Shannon Yes. Couldn't quite grab enough time to actually write it! Kitchen stuff has my reading at a snail's pace...

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Oooh, at least it's started though! Very exciting.