Jaclyn's Reviews > Songs of the Humpback Whale

Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult

Jul 05, 2010

bookshelves: animals, author_jodi-picoult, mother-child-fiction, romance
Read in July, 2010

I think this book found me at just the right time in my life where I could really appreciate it and relate to the main character, Jane. I also think that it helped knowing that the story is told moving forward by all the characters except Rebecca, who tells her story backwards. I have read several Picoult books now, and each one has affected me. I love her style of writing and I love the topics she chooses to write about. To me this one wasn't as controversial of a topic as many of her others, but it's still a topic that illustrates that there are no easy answers in life and each characters' perspective tells a different story, which contributes to the whole.
Jane is at a point in her marriage where she's fed up with playing second fiddle to her husband's career, and even more so, she's tired of her daughter having to play second fiddle. When Oliver informs her that he is not going to be present for their daughters 15th birthday, something in Jane snaps. After an explosive argument, she and Rebecca set off across the country to find her brother Joley. They're not sure when they'll get there or how long they'll be gone, they just know they need to get away and figure things out - together.
What unfolds is a beautiful story about all the various relationships that are important in a person's life: mother-daughter, husband-wife, brother-sister, and how each of these contributes to the outcome of the story that is our life.

One of my favorite quotes from the book:
"If you want to love a parent you have to understand the incredible investment he or she has in you. If you are a parent, and you want to be loved, you have to deserve it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of the Humpback Whale.

Quotes Jaclyn Liked

Jodi Picoult
“If you want to love a parent you have to understand the incredible investment he or she has in you. If you are a parent, and you want to be loved, you have to deserve it.”
Jodi Picoult, Songs of the Humpback Whale