Amanda's Reviews > Love on a Dime

Love on a Dime by Cara Lynn James

Jun 11, 2010

Read in May, 2010

A PERFECT 10!!
Cara Lynn James is officially on my favorite author's list!!! What first drew me to this book was the cover- LOOK at it, it's GORGEOUS! Then, the fact that it's set in my home state (RI) well, I just had to read it! But gorgeous cover and state pride aside, this book was WONDERFUL! I normally tear right through a book in one day, but I chose instead to savor this one and join the Westbrook's for a leisurely summer season in beautiful Newport. Taking my time seemed like the right approach to this gentle, woo-your-heart love story.

Lillian Westbrook is an unassuming beauty, strong in her convictions, and modest in her accomplishments who is tenderly pursued by Jackson Grail, the handsome, steadfast, humble hero. Apparently Cara is a "debut" novelist but her talents speak of a seasoned author!! She draws you into the story effortlessly, transporting you into the scenes with charming prose and great word imagery. With each word I could feel the mist from the powerful Atlantic cool my face in the afternoon sun, hear the ever-present soundtrack of the gulls as I took a relaxing stroll, and see all the breathtaking elegance and luxury that can only be described as Newport! Of course, we discover, along with the characters, that money can never buy happiness, earthly riches are fleeting, outer beauty without inner beauty is vain, and true love scripted by the original Author of romance will weather any storm!

I also really appreciated her use of the KJV. I often find in historicals that many authors try to make sure everything else is historically accurate and overlook their translational use of the Bible- so props to Cara on that one. She truly weaved a deep faith, hope, and love for Christ in and throughout every page. Simply put, "Love on a Dime" is one of the best Christian romances I've had the privilege and pleasure of reading! I look forward with great anticipation for her next novel "Love on Assignment" due out early next year! Cara, God bless you sistah!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love on a Dime.

08/17/2016 marked as: read

♥♥Mari♥♥ What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL review! You have such a flowing, fabuloously descriptive writing style! I truly enjoyed reading your comments about this book, and now I, too, want to read it! : )