Pooja's Reviews > Sexus

Sexus by Henry Miller

Mar 09, 11

Read in March, 2011

A fun, ridiculous read. I understand this was a brilliant, groundbreaking book when published, but the "shocking" sexytime scenes started to get a little boring pretty early. I did love the descriptions of 1940s New York and enjoyed a lot of Miller's rants about modern life and people. Before they got a bit worn. I don't know, it was fine. I was hoping for something more transcendent. About page 400 I was waiting for the end. The angry smugness, superiority, punctuated by hilarity and self-awareness - barely kept me going.

This may be similar to the inkling of boredom (BLASPHEMY) I feel when I read some of the beat writers Kerouac and those other white boys (BLASPHEMY) who were wild and crazy guys in the old days. Just... fine. I know. Blasphemer. BLASPHEMER.

There were words that stayed with me on the front page:
"I was approaching my thirty-third year, the age of Christ crucified. A wholly new life lay before me, had I the courage to risk. Actually there was nothing to risk: I was at the bottom of the rung of the ladder, a failure in every sense of the word." These words will actually stay with me always, woven in my nights.

One of my best friends gave me this book, telling me that this book made him the man he was. I love the friend like a brother, but the book was just fine.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sexus.