Erica (daydreamer)'s Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

There are some books written that touch you deeply. Stories that work their way stealthily into your heart, and imbeds itself securely there, and refusing to disperse, leaving you utterly breathless and completely captivated with wondrous awe. Delirium did this for me. There are not many books that can speak to you the way Delirium does. Books that tug at your heartstrings, and make you believe in the impossible. Books that can express what love really is: an all consuming, brilliantly captivating, wrenchingly heartbreaking power that takes control over you. Love that turns your world around, shows you things you never saw before, makes everything brighter and more amazing than you ever thought they could be.

Delirium takes you on the journey of Lena, a normal girl in a loveless society, who is soon immersed in the unthinkable, has found herself facing the most deadly thing ever known to mankind. Love. Lena begins to explore this completely new and forbidden emotion. An emotion that people shun and fear. An emotion that could get her killed. And in the end, she is tried more than she could have possibly imagined. My heart breaks for her, and yet it soars with hers as she discovers this whole new, enthralling world.

Delirium is such a uniquely, enchanting, astounding story. It was beautifully written, brilliantly told. And the ending. I don’t know if I’ve read a more heartbreaking, incredible ending. The last several pages I was on the edge. I couldn’t read fast enough. The story had me captive, refusing to let go until the very last word. I don’t know how I can possibly wait until 2012 for Pandemonium to come out! When February 1 rolls around, get your hands on this book, and don’t let go. Prepare yourself for a wonderful, beautiful love story that hopefully touches you the way it did me.

Thank you, thank you! for Netgalley and HarperCollins for letting me read this arc. It was incredible.

Update 5/25/11: Delirium is being made into a movie! Brilliant! That completely just made my day :D http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1698647/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Erica (daydreamer) Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

02/27/2011 page 441
100.0% "Ah, I just love this book <3 And the ending! I was still blown away after the second time reading it and just so anxious to read Pandemonium!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (That's What Liz Read) Great review!

Erica (daydreamer) Thanks Liz! It was pretty much an amzing book :)

message 3: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes wow ~ awesome review. I really want to get my hands on this! I secretly love books that make me cry!

Brodie Fantastic review!! My gosh, Lauren Oliver is brilliant. Just when I don't think she can top herself, she just blows us away. 2012 IS TOO FAR AWAY!!!

message 5: by Erica (daydreamer) (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica (daydreamer) Thank you Nomes & Brodie. :) Books that make me cry are my favorite, becaue they evoke such strong, undeniable emotions in me and I become one with the story and I just can't stand the thought of parting with it. While I didn't exactly cry in Delirium, I still felt such strong emotions, and came to see love in a different light. And yes, Lauren Oliver is brilliant. I've just bought Before I Fall, which I have a feeling will touch me more deeply than Delirium did, or at the very least as much. *crosses fingers*

Lucy I loved this too and can't wait for the sequel. Hope you enjoy Before I Fall! Thanks for sharing your thoughtful review.

message 7: by Erica (daydreamer) (last edited Mar 01, 2011 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica (daydreamer) Thank you, and you're welcome! I really hope I enjoy and love Before I Fall too!

Steph Sinclair This book is on my list. Your review makes it hard to patiently await my turn for it from the library. I loved "Before I Fall."

Erica (daydreamer) I hope you love it! Though I'm sure you will ;)

Taylor I can't believe I didn't "like" this until right now! This is what got me excited about winning Delirium. :P

Erica (daydreamer) Ooh really? Thanks :)

Kendall Anne Can't wait to read it now!!!!!

message 13: by Jocelynt (last edited May 03, 2011 02:23PM) (new) - added it

Jocelynt I think that the way you captured "Delirium" is right on track it is a very good book that I would read again.

Erica (daydreamer) Thank you Jocelynt, and I can see myself rereading it a lot in the future :D

Morgan I'm diffidently going to be re- reading it. I know exactly how you felt... this book brought me to tears at those intense parts. :'( But I loved the book very much. <3
Read "Not An Angel" By: Dawn Chartier HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

message 16: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy I haven't read this one yet, but it's been sitting on my TBR shelf for a while. Guess I'll have to push it to the top of the list!

Cathy  Keaton I was thinking when reading this that it would make a good movie. Now it's going to be one!

Wendy Darling Erika, have you read her book Liesl and Po yet? Since you love her writing, I think you might really enjoy it, though I'm not sure how much middle grade you read.

Erica (daydreamer) Oh, yes I have. And I LOVED it! I do enjoy middle grade once in a while. And Liesl and Po was a jewel.

message 20: by Zozo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zozo I must say that you've got a way with words my dear. Seriously the first paragraph is amazingly illustrated. Besides, that I have read Delirium and wrote my own review also and I completely and utterly agree with every single letter of every single word of your review. Thanks for it and by the way the first paragraph also is a perfect description of how I felt after reading this book.

Erica (daydreamer) Thank you Zozo :) I truly loved this book and wanted to express my love to people.

message 22: by PJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

PJ I just finished Delirium and found your wonderful review. Even though it's 1:30AM I'm diving right in to Pandemonium. I can't imagine having had to wait a year to find out what happened next. Love that you love Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice and that you have a made-me-cry shelf.

Erica (daydreamer) Thank you PJ. Pandemonium is just as amazing. Hope you love it!

message 24: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Great review, Erika! ;)

Bushra Haque Did anyone else have a hollow in their heart after reading the last page? I sure did.

Ambar Melendez It's actually being made into a TV series!! They said that it would be better based on the plot twists and characters; that this way they would have a better way to unravel. :D Great Review by the way!!!

I love dogs :¬{) YES! Finally someone liked it!