Jarrah's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Dec 28, 07

bookshelves: author-cassandraclare, genre-yafantasy, series-mortalinstruments, genre-yafiction, vampires, weres, setting-secretworld, magical-objects, country-america
Recommended to Jarrah by: Sarah Rees Brennan
Read in September, 2007

YA urban fantasy. Clary sees a boy - or possibly a boy - killed in a night club, and is pitched into a world of shadowhunters and downworlders, where she might fit in better than she imagined.

I will admit that I read this purely because Cassandra Clare wrote the ridiculously well-known Secret Diaries of the Fellowship of the Ring. (And there's a Secret Diaries reference in the book, which is cute.)

This is definitely a different kettle of vampire bikies. I have slightly mixed feelings. In general I liked it - it wasn't laugh out loud funny, but the dialogue usually made me smile, and the world had a nice dark edge to it, while still being definitely a teen book. Got off to a slightly rocky start with an "As you know, Mr Demon," moment of exposition in the first couple of scenes, but I was lost inside the story within a couple of chapters. The characters were kind of cool, the world wasn't bad. I'm not a huge fan of the shadowhunter organisation and backstory - I don't find it especially compelling - and I also wasn't sure why Clary's quest to save her mother seemed to coincide with the shadowhunters' quest, given that what they wanted to rescue, she wanted to barter to their enemy. There may have been a justification there that I missed, though.

The strangest part was the Star Wars echo to the plot. It must have been conscious, since Clare referenced Star Wars at one point, but ... well, there are some familiar plots you can borrow and reinterpret without raising an eyebrow, but that one's so damned iconic - it just seems an odd choice. Still, it left the characters in a very interesting place, and I'm curious to see how she's going to have them deal with it. A few comments on her blog suggest that the situation might not be as clear-cut as it seems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.