JM's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Dec 18, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: ya-specfic, ya, z-vampires, z-were-creatures, setting-hidden-world, setting-usa, fantasy
Recommended to JM by: Sarah Rees Brennan
Read in September, 2007

YA urban fantasy. Clary sees a boy killed in a night club, and is pitched into a world of shadowhunters and downworlders, where she might fit in better than she imagined.

I have slightly mixed feelings. In general I liked it - it wasn't laugh out loud funny, but the dialogue usually made me smile, and the world had a nice dark edge to it, while still being definitely a teen book. Got off to a slightly rocky start with an "As you know, Mr Demon," moment of exposition in the first couple of scenes, but I was lost inside the story within a couple of chapters. The characters were kind of cool, the world wasn't bad. I didn't find the shadowhunter organisation and backstory especially compelling, and I also wasn't sure why Clary's quest to save her mother seemed to coincide with the shadowhunters' quest, given that what they wanted to rescue, she wanted to barter to their enemy. There may have been a justification there that I missed, though.

The strangest part was the Star Wars echo to the plot. It must have been conscious, since Clare referenced Star Wars at one point, but ... well, there are some familiar plots you can borrow and reinterpret without raising an eyebrow, but that one's so damned iconic - it just seems an odd choice. Still, it left the characters in a very interesting place, and I'm curious to see how she's going to have them deal with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

01/14 marked as: read