Eileen Granfors's Reviews > The Lion

The Lion by Nelson DeMille

Nelson DeMille brings back his brash, bad-boy cop (Federal Agent, former cop) John Corey in this sequel to "The Lion's Game." Corey has been the voice of five other novels, and DeMille seems to have him down to a t.

returns back from "The Lion's Game" in which he escaped Corey and company last time. Now Khalil has unfinished business: he intends to kill all the pilots involved in the US bombing of Libya and all those involved in trying to prevent his mission. Asad is a sadustic opponent, with a calm, intelligent manner of approaching murder. He kills those who help him and those who stand in his way.

DeMille ratchets up the suspense page by page.We know the targets, and Khalil seems to be quite of a few steps ahead of Corey's in this chess game. A wild card tossed in creates even more angst: Khalil must also have financial backing from a group and needs to repay them with a major statement of hatred for the US--so what building, city, monument will he attack? Will he do that before or after his showdown with Corey?

The dialog is the kind we expect in a good cop novel, snappy and wry, the action is relentless, and for all his bravado, John Corey is hard to dislike.

Take this book on vacation or to the beach: it's fast, fun, and entertaining if you don't mind the gory and numerous kills.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fredsky (new)

Fredsky So you DO like Nelson DeMille! Cool!

Eileen Granfors I think I've read all his books--just haven't reviewed or listed them here. "Spencerville" my favorite. That and the one about Vietnam.