A.F.'s Reviews > Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider

Rabbit by Ellen C. Maze

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: own, fantasy-books, paranormal
Read in February, 2011

Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider by Ellen C. Maze is a unique entry in the vampire genre, portraying its characters as neither tortured romantics nor soulless bloodsuckers. Her Rakum are more of a race of lost people, embracing darkness or seeking Truth.

Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider tells the story of a novelist, Beth Rider, who is targeted by the ancient race of blood drinkers, the Rakum, because her books have inadvertently caused dissent in the ranks of these vampire-like creatures. As she tries to survive, she finds friends, enemies and a far greater purpose awaits her.

This novel constructs an appealing plot, taking the reader in an uncommon direction. The author has effortlessly tied the modern vampire myth with Biblical teachings and Hebrew tradition to achieve a fascinating fictional folklore of her own. She has also managed to bring a great deal of spirituality and spark to a well-trodden horror sub-genre. Her characters are strong, determined and vividly depicted as the sides of good and evil are slowly drawn.

Although I did find some of the prose intermittently veered into the “tried and true” area for my taste, I was quite captivated by the book and look forward to reading more of Beth Rider and the Rakum in the author’s other books. Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider is a stellar offering and a wonderful read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit.

Steven Wow, now I have 2 favorite reviewers. This is a fantastic review that gives the audience a taste but just enough to make them want to read the book.

A.F. Steven wrote: "Wow, now I have 2 favorite reviewers. This is a fantastic review that gives the audience a taste but just enough to make them want to read the book."

Thanks, it was an enjoyable book to review.

Ellen Maze @A.F. -- wow, I am honored. Thank you for reading my book and giving me your review! ~ Ellen

A.F. Ellen wrote: "@A.F. -- wow, I am honored. Thank you for reading my book and giving me your review! ~ Ellen"

The book certainly lived up to all the good things I'd heard about it.