Angela's Reviews > Facts of Life: Stories

F 50x66
Jun 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: ya

The Facts of Life by Gary Soto presents ten short stories featuring characters of Hispanic background. I was not impressed by the first story, “Where Did I Go Wrong?” Basically, Mickey while is helping a young man move things out of a house he realizes he is actually helping him steal. Later, when he gets home he imagines the man coming to his house and asking him to help steal his own plasma TV. He decides he is glad his dad never bought the plasma TV that he had begged for. “Identity Theft” sounded interesting, but turns out it was about a new girl in school who just happens to the same name as Ana Hernandez. The old Ana is jealous when everyone seems likes the new Ana better. The old Ana receives news that her family s moving and she is excited she will have a new start in a new school. Just her luck, the new school also has an Ana Hernandez, but she feels elated that she is now the new Ana. My favorite is “Citizen of the World.” Young Laurita deals with identity issues. She discovers she was not born in the U.S. and fears she will be taken away by immigration officials. Even at her young age, she is able to recognize the contradictory views on illegal immigration. Although the stories in The Facts of Life lack any real plot, they address important issues to reflect upon, and give young adults a chance to consider what is right and wrong. This book seems to be geared towards younger teens ages 12-14. I appreciate that translations can be found in the back of the book since several Spanish words and phrases are used throughout the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Facts of Life.