Jasmine's Reviews > Light Boxes

Light Boxes by Shane Jones

Jul 12, 10

bookshelves: american
Read in January, 2010

I read this book, it took about an hour. I think that the book really could have used a couple more fonts and some more funny sizing of text, but I accept that an author has to be careful that they haven't gone overboard. I do have to say I always appreciate an author who knows that it is unnecessary to use the entire page, I feel so accomplished when I am reading a book quickly even if that is because there is only one sentence on some of the pages. But really not every book with a funny format is good I mean there is at least one that I still have been able to sit down and finish because I just didn't care so perhaps we should recognize there is more to a book than font, although font totally gets me to start a book. As do the pretty new penguin covers.

Now by this point I was already committed but there is a great quote to start this book: "The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism but February." Now I still remember being a child in New England and being not too old I remember a snow fort that was build in the back yard one year after a blizzard, and well I loved winter as a child. On the other hand I remember the first time I ever drove in snow, it was 4am and I had just come home from a school trip and again it was a blizzard and I drove out of the school driveway and into a ditch, since this was back before I had a cell phone I got a ride home and my mother yelled at me for leaving the car, apparently they won't tow a car without a person. Eventually the police found it and made an exception. The point being that year I drove a truck that fishtailed and spent more time calling my friend matt to pull me out of ditches then driving. This was the beginning of the downfall of February. And we come to today, I live in a city basically so I can avoid driving because who ever wants to do that again. Periodically my roommate wakes me up in the middle of the night to make snow angels on the roof, or I hit a guy in the ear with a snow ball and winter and I seem to have come to somewhat of a truce. I hate being cold, but I love snow. So to make this relevant to the book I have to say there is something about the winter that make you terrified that it will never end. I mean I am more a fall type of girl, I like when it is a bit windy and 60 out. But I am well versed in the problems of seasonal depression and people falling through ice fishing holes.

Right I said that I was going to make this relevant, well I lied, I cannot bring myself to summarize this book for you. If you want to know what it is about go read it yourself. I mean it only takes an hour and it will be a much better use of your time then sex in the city 15 or whatever else you were planning on doing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light Boxes.