Sonya Clark's Reviews > Suffer the Children

Suffer the Children by Sara Jayne Townsend

Jun 10, 10

bookshelves: horror

The last few years I've read a lot of urban fantasy but Suffer The Children took me back to the Stephen King books I read growing up. It starts out grim and gets increasingly claustrophobic as the story unfolds, just like a good horror novel should. Troubled young girl Leanne was pretty unlikable at first but it was nice to see her growth over the course of the novel. Her cousin Simon and his girlfriend Carrie, who made an impressive Nancy Drew, were also nicely drawn characters. I was able to spot the bad guy pretty quick but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. After all, just because you know who the big bad is doesn't mean you know how they'll be defeated.

One thing that especially struck me about this was the age of the victims, mostly 18 to 21. Old enough to be legal adults, which coupled with their fringe status helped ensure no one would look for them, but still young enough to not really be adults in the true sense. It's an incredibly vulnerable time in a person's life. The feeling that you could slip off the edge of the world and no one would even notice is terrifying, and recalling that feeling really upped the tension for me while reading this. Though at times a difficult read - Leanne has had a pretty rough upbringing - I liked the book very much and would recommend it to anyone who likes old-school horror.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suffer the Children.