Will Crim's Reviews > America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction

America (The Book) by Jon Stewart

3207681
Jun 10, 10

This book, not to sound like one of those who constantly praise every book they read, was the funniest book I have ever read. And another plus to reading this book was that I felt smart doing so. I love political satyre especially from the mind of Jon Stewart. In the very beginning John or apparently the corpse of Thomas Jefferson writes a foreword to the book. My favorite line in the foreward was "Sally may not like it, but as we used to say in the back parlours of 18th-century Paris, 'tough titties' ." The quote is completely meaningless and irrelevant to the book but I guess I'm just immature in thinking such crude humor as... Humorous. In the middle of the book however, John makes a good observation of our congress "Lawmaking is tedious and never-ending. If not for the good salary and godlike sense of ultimate power it would hardly seem worth it." This makes me feel like I'm not alone when I concluded that "congressman are either okay or power-hungry belligerents," which made me feel comfortable lol (sorry it's too tempting to type like I would on a social netowrking site). Honestly, this book was named one of the worst books of the year in 2005 but I don't understand how you could give such a title to literature which is an art in itself so... I don't know, I think It's a great book, It takes about a week to read. It's very funny if you're not a conservative republican. Jonathan Stewart is a comedic genius and this is everything he doesn't dare to put out on the Daily Show. Pick it up... Read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America (The Book).