willaful's Reviews > Reckless

Reckless by Anne Stuart

(I won this book through First Reads.)

Reckless had a potentially awesome premise: what happens to the son of a notorious rake who reformed for love? Adrian is the heir of Francis, the hero of the first book in this series -- I haven’t read it yet, but it’s clear that Francis was one of Stuart’s usual bad boys. Adrian, rebellious against a father he sees as a hypocrite (and goaded on by someone with an axe to grind), not surprisingly wants to outdo his old man. So he experiments -- a lot -- with sex and drugs and naughty Regency sex and drug clubs.

This makes him sound young and he acts it, too -- less one of the truly scary, amoral heroes that Stuart does so well than a bit of a bored, petulant brat. That actually worked for me, because he runs up against Charlotte, who is strong-willed enough to be a match for him and put him in his place on occasion. Also, of course he is sexy as hell.

I had trouble getting into the story at first, because all kinds of niggling little details kept taking me out. The scandalous sex club that’s a theme of the series seemed oddly conceived, with conflicting rules that didn’t make much sense or feel historically authentic. Then there’s fact that Rohan is supposedly so careful. His method of protection? He pulls out. Yeah, that’ll keep him from having any bastards or STDs. I was also bothered by how much the story resembled the prequel to the series, which I just read. Same type of hero, same type of heroine, same type of relationship between them, even a similar locked-in-together scene.

But when the romance really got going, I feel under Stuart’s spell as usual and was thoroughly engrossed. I also liked the somewhat unusual secondary romance. In the end, I enjoyed Reckless, yet felt disappointed that Stuart didn’t do more with a premise that had so much potential, instead sticking mostly to her standard formula. It could have been one of her best books. Instead it’s just a pretty entertaining story.

A note for sensitive readers: there’s a sex scene of somewhat dubious consent and a lot of crude language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckless.

08/29/2010 page 27
7.0% "Not one but *two* Regency clubs? Wicked men and bluestocking ladies. This doesn't bode well."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read always good to read book 1 if you have it. (I have it in ebook form....)