Mary's Reviews > The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World.

The Lost Girls by Jennifer Baggett

3209559
Jun 10, 2010

Read in June, 2010

These three girls, all in their late 20's, are feeling the pressure. Working at high-stress jobs in NYC, they're on the road to adulthood (husband, promotions, kids, etc) and they're freaking out. So, after a girl-bonding trip to Argentina, they decide they want to ditch it all and travel the world, so they can find themselves. In honor of this search, they dub themselves "The Lost Girls".

Traveling 60,000 miles across four continents and through dozens of countries (many of which have never been on my itinerary), the girls never have the epiphanies or ah-ha moments they're looking for. What they do find are deep bonds of friendship, an appreciation for what they have, and an understanding of the world beyond their front doors.

This was a fun read--I plowed through it in about a day and a half, looking forward to each step of their journey. I also liked how the book was laid out: each girl wrote about her individual experiences, with her own voice. The reader really gets to know each person and how she grew during her travels. Jen realized she was in a relationship that wasn't good for her and that she could find love elsewhere; Holly took a more spiritual journey, became a certified yoga teacher in India, and got more in touch with her spirituality; and driven Amanda learned how to relax and enjoy her life while still succeeding.

The only thing that irked me was that Jen (Jennifer Baggett) tended to dwell on her age, how she was getting so old, and how she thought anyone over 30 was ancient. (Of course, thinking back, I probably had the same beliefs as her about age. Ah, 28. So young. So naive.) Otherwise, I really enjoyed their stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girls.