Jeff's Reviews > Dawn

Dawn by Octavia E. Butler

Jun 12, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Recommended to Jeff by: James Gunn's CSSF 2010 Summer Intensive
Recommended for: Everyone and anyone who really wants to know what science fiction is all about.
Read from June 10 to 12, 2010

I haven't read an entire book in two short days with such enjoyment in many, many years. Such a quick, engrossing read! Such a unique, fascinating story! Now I see why Butler is the honored and timeless author that she is.

Larry Niven may be more known for bringing to the table the idea of sex between alien and humans in his famous Ringworld Series, but Butler's description of intimacy between the ooloi, Nikanj, and Lila is so much more involving; both powerful and gentle, titillating and disturbing all at the same time.

The way the Oankali rescue (capture? conquer?)humanity - and Butler's exquisite pacing - make this book very hard to put down.

One defintion of science fiction is its ability to inspire awe and wonder and to reveal human nature in all its complexity and vibrancy. Butler's Dawn is the essence of this definition.

Enjoy!

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn.

Camille Nice review. I've only read Fledgling by OEB and loved that book (very unique)... I look forward to reading this one.

Camille I finally read it and loved it!

Jeff Camille wrote: "I finally read it and loved it!"

Hooray! Now try this short story, "Bloodchild:" http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/97...

I don't know if you'd call it subtlety, indirectness, or what, but the way she reveals the world she is describing is enthralling! Let me know what you think.