Morgan Ives's Reviews > Writing Fiction for Dummies

Writing Fiction for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson

Jun 10, 10

Remember all those articles you've read on writing? Some were useful, some were not. If you're like me, you've collected those useful articles for years. Yet I always wished they could be collected in a single place.

"Writing Fiction for Dummies" does that! It is by far the best, most comprehensive book I've read on the subject of writing fiction (and I've read dozens). Highlights that I found especially useful:

- How to create (or fix) characters so they resonate with readers.
- How to balance the structure of the novel so it never lags.
- How to write a novel that creates a powerful emotional response.
- How to revise and edit a novel for essential elements.
- How to interpret feedback you may receive on a novel and apply it.

The structure of the book makes it possible for the authors to pack large amounts of information into a relatively short space. First, the principles are presented and explained. Then, examples from literature are presented so you can see the principles in action. Finally, exercises are outlined so you can apply the principles yourself.

If you are a serious fiction writer (published or not), this book should be on your shelf. Better yet, this book should be open by your computer or notepad as you write.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Fiction for Dummies.