Julie's Reviews > The Cinderella Deal

The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie

Jun 14, 10

bookshelves: fiction, jennifer-crusie, contemporary-romance
Read in April, 2010

This book was a cute, fun read. I have a thing for stories involving marriages of convenience because I always think it's fun and interesting to watch characters get married for a job (like in this book) or a green card (like in the movie The Proposal) then watch their resistance slowly crumble as they become attracted to each other and fall in love. These stories usually aren't very believable, and The Cinderella Deal is no exception. However, there's something about Crusie's writing that makes you believe that yes, these characters would do this, they would drop everything and actually get married and move to a tiny town and pretend to be married for the sake of a job.

The two leads are Daisy, a free-spirited artist, and Linc, her neighbor and a history professor who desperately needs a wife in order to get a sweet new job. Despite being total opposites, Linc asks Daisy to consider a marriage of convenience. There's a payout with it, too, and Daisy needs the money.

Linc gets the job, and they move together to a little college town. Daisy and Linc are attracted to each other, but they don't act on it -- they even sleep in separate bedrooms. I enjoyed the building tension, but it goes on a bit too long. I wanted them to just get over it and act on their feelings instead of going on about how they were incompatible.

I thought certain parts could have been a bit more fleshed out -- it seemed like there was more telling than showing going on. I also could have done without the whole deal about Linc's mom getting the flu when she visited them. That entire part of the book seemed superfluous, even though I understand it was meant to bring Daisy and Linc closer. I also thought it was weird when Daisy started reading the Bible to Linc's mom, because up until that point she hadn't made any mention of religion. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book, but it did throw me out of the story a little bit.

I'll chalk up some of the telling vs. showing to this being one of Crusie's earlier works (this edition is a reissue). It still has her signature wit, humor, and warmth, and for that reason, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a good romance novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cinderella Deal.