Eric's Reviews > On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: pirate
Recommended for: Fans of adventure stories, pirates and/or unique fantasy
Read from April 29 to May 05, 2011, read count: Once

I bumped this up my reading list because I wanted to read it ahead of the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie ruining adapting it, and I'm glad I did. I really can't see how they are going to do this book justice, and I honestly don't think they'll try -- they'll likely steal a few easily borrowable elements like the voodoo magic and the quest for the fountain of youth, and ignore the main story, which would be tricky to cram Jack Sparrow into. I wish that Pirates of the Caribbean would not have used the "On Stranger Tides" subtitle, so that a committed movie version could have been made from this unique novel. Oh well. At least I have this book to reread.

UPDATE: I watched the movie laid up on my couch with the flu, and it borrowed even less from the book than I assumed it would -- almost nothing at all. In the opening credits, it says the movie was "suggested by" the novel. Not based on, or adapted from, but suggested, which I liked, because at least they are being honest about how little they used the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Stranger Tides.