Mandy Moody's Reviews > The Pleasure Palace

The Pleasure Palace by Kate Emerson

Jun 19, 10

bookshelves: english-royalty, historical-fiction
Read in June, 2010

The Pleasure Palace is the story of Jane Poppyncourt, royal ward of the English court during the time of Henry VII and VIII. Jane is Breton/French by birth and becomes part of the royal nursery at age 8 with the job of conversing daily with the princesses Margaret and Mary in French.
This is the story of her life - at least until marriage - and of the "mystery" surrounding her birth and her mothers death.
I found the book engaging enough. Jane was a likable character, and I enjoyed her interactions with the Tudor characters that I know so much about. It was fun to see many of the events that I'm so familiar with from an outsiders point of view.
Overall, there was nothing special about the book, though, which is why it gets only 3 starts. I am looking forward to reading Emersons next work, though, Between Two Queens. My library didn't have it in the system, so I put in a purchase request for it :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pleasure Palace.

06/10/2010 page 50
13.44% "Another Tudor book. I'm a freak, I know. I haven't read about Jane Pappyncourt before, though, and this claims to be here "true" story..."