*danielle*'s Reviews > Double Cross

Double Cross by Malorie Blackman

Jun 12, 2010

Having been a HUGE fan of the "Noughts and Crosses" series, I was somewhat anxious about this fourth novel. The third book had drawn everything to a nice close, and to be honest, I couldn't really see where the characters could be taken now.
Luckily, my doubts were unfounded. What was especially nice about this book was that it draw away from the Callum/Sephy storyline and created a whole new story based on the relationship between Callie and Toby, whilst still referring back to the original and well-loved characters.
All Toby wants to do is provide for his girlfriend Callie, so in an attempt to earn some money, he makes a "delivery" which is much more than it seems. When Callie is shot, Toby embarks on a quest for revenge which takes him down a spiralling road of violence and despair, leading him right into the heart of the Nought/Cross divide.
Although I had sometimes found Callie a little irritating the last book, in this book she was must more likable, and Toby was an oddly endearing character, considering his actions. It was a real page-turner, I'm quite sure it didn't leave my hands for two days, and packed a really emotional punch, particularly at the horrifically ironic ending which left me feeling the most sympathy towards a fictional character I had ever known. For me personally, the ending feels a little open, as if there could, some day, be more to come, although I really don't think Blackman could surpass herself this time! On the whole, one of the best of the series, a definite must-read even for those who didn't enjoy the rest!
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Cross.