Regine's Reviews > Midnight's Children

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

I read this book almost two years ago. Over the two years, there have been certain images, and certain words that have stuck in my mind, and yet, I'm having so much trouble articulating exactly how I feel about this work.

So how do I feel about it? In short, I loved it. I absolutely, without a doubt loved this book. But as a disclaimer, if you're looking for a book that you can flip through on your train home from work, then Midnight's Children isn't for you. Rushdie has written something so beautiful, that I think the only way to truly appreciate it is if you fully immerse yourself into this world of magic, and history, and uncoventional prose.

The concept of the story is simple enough: At the stroke of midnight, when India becomes an independent state, our protagonist, Saleem Sinai is born. We learn that the children born between midnight and 1 AM are all endowed with special powers. Saleem uses his own telepathy to connect himself with the rest of midnight's children to find out the significance of his powers. Saleem's life serves as an allegory to the history of the country.

I feel that Rushdie really knows how to entice the senses. Excuse the metaphor, but he makes love to the English language. He breaks all of the rules we've ever learned about sentence structure, and grammar, and blah blah blah, and in turn creates this world of lush imagery and colourful characters. A man having a nose bleed on a prayer mat. A doctor performing a phsyical on a beautiful woman through a punctured bedsheet. A man who owns a pickle factory. These are all seemingly mundane details that Rushdie breathes life and magic into.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight's Children.

Quotes Regine Liked

Salman Rushdie
“To understand just one life you have to swallow the world ... do you wonder, then, that I was a heavy child?”
Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely I agree about Rushdie making love to the English language and to think that he is not a natural-born Englishman (he was born in Pakistan and only went to England to study). Nice review!