Henry's Reviews > The Wounded Land

The Wounded Land by Stephen R. Donaldson

M 50x66
Jun 09, 2010

liked it

I didn't like this series as much as first, although it is definitely better written, better developed, and better plotted. The fantasy world is more complex and challenging, the characters explore more of it, and the plot contains some mysteries that make you eager to keep reading.

However, it made me realize that a fundamental strength of the first series was its focus on the emotional and philosophical level of the struggle. This focus was aided by the generic nature of the plot and setting, which allowed the series to serve as a critique of the way this fantasy subgenre is normally portrayed.

While the second series also deals with the impact of the fantasy world on the moral character of the main characters, the struggle is not as stark. Capitulations are made. And the depth and complexity of the fantasy world serve to make the series into just another fantasy series, albiet with more philosophical agonizing, rather than a kind of postmodern critique of fantasy writing.

It depends what you are looking for, and I was not really looking for more fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wounded Land.