Branden's Reviews > Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer

Wormwood by Ben Templesmith

Jun 09, 2010

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Recommended to Branden by: Ben Templesmith
Recommended for: Templesmith fans (30 Days of Night), and horror/comedy fans.
Read from June 08 to 09, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

It is rare (in fact, this is the only time) that I can say I read a book based on the authors suggestion. This is the case with Wormword, Gentleman Corpse Volume 1. As a twitter user I have found that there are a ton of comic artists that are actually willing to talk with their fans instead of staying distant. This is refreshing, and a great way to get insight from the inside of the comic world. One day I decided to tweet Templesmith and ask him what he considered to be his greatest work - his "masterpiece" - at this point in his career. He replied with "Probably Wormwood Gentlemen Corpse Vol 1 at this point". I figured if the man was nice enough to respond to me that I could return the favor and give Wormwood a try. I can see why Templesmith is proud of this work: it's great!

The reason to read this graphic novel is mainly for the fantastic artwork - which, I must admit, I am becoming a bit obsessed with, between this graphic novel and 30 Days of Night - but that isn't to take away from the great characters Templesmith has created. Wormwood, the gentlemen corpse, is actually a talking worm that takes over different bodies (though he mainly sticks to the corpse). Wormwood is a detective of sorts, trying to keep the other-worldly evils out of this realm and where they belong. He has a sidekick who is a ZZ Top look-a-like that acts as his bodyguard, and loves using his shotgun. Along the way we also meet a ghost detective who is trying to solve a case, and comes to Wormwood for help. There is a ton of blood and gore throughout the novel, as well as very adult situations, but Templesmith has a wonderful sense of humor, and is able to build characters that are deeper than the potty-humor they sometimes spew.

I thoroughly enjoyed Wormwood, Gentlemen Corpse Volume 1, and anyone who likes Templesmith's artwork, or wants something completely different than most other books, this is a great option. It won't change anyones life, but it will entertain the hell out of them. Great read.

Quickie Review: BUY IT

4 out of 5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wormwood.